08 October, 2006

 

Freedom vs. Engineering, Part II

Ingo: What you describe is still an engineering problem, not one of freedom. If you can't do it yourself, you could find someone to do it for you. The point is that all the bits and pieces are freely accessible.
If you truly believe that the dependencies on tmpfs and udev should only be recommends, then I think you should file bug reports against the affected packages.

PS: I've had trouble with package dependencies as a user myself. I've also had a bug filed against one of my packages where I did reduce a depends to a recommends. So, I think I understand where you are coming from and generally agree that dependencies can be a chore. My point is merely that this is not about freedom but about engineering.

PPS: Seems like the PS turned out as long as the post. ;-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?