27 June, 2006

 

Sometimes Things Just Work

I'm in Melbourne for the week, so I thought I take a laptop with Ubuntu Dapper from work with me to see how Mondo Rescue works on it.
I had prepared myself well by making sure that all build dependencies where installed - or so I thought. It turned out that I couldn't install the freshly built packages because some binary dependencies where not installed - very clever. Not.
I didn't have Internet access in the hotel, the winmodem in the laptop doesn't work with free software and there were no (free) WLAN access points. I did, however, have my Treo 650 with an SD memory card. Also, I noticed for the first time that the laptop actually has an SD card slot. I tried the card from the Treo in the laptop and amazingly enough it just worked. (There you go, another glorious Ubuntu success story...) So, I downloaded the necessary packages using the Treo's Blazer webbrowser (which didn't go all that smoothly, downloading stalled all the time basically, but removing and reinserting the SD card helped here), and then installed from the SD card onto the laptop.
Looks like Mondo Rescue is running quite well on Ubuntu Dapper at least in the standard install, i.e. no RAID and no LVM. Cool. Writing to DVDs directly literally takes hours, though. No idea why that is, so I haven't run out of things to keep me entertained yet. ;-)

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?